Check here each week for information to prepare your heart for the upcoming sermon and follow-up questions you can use after the sermon to dig deeper and disciple your family!
Sermon – Loving my Brother More than my Rights – 1 Corinthians 8:1-13
Preparing my heart for the sermon:
- What is more important: theological knowledge or love? Why?
- Some believers in Corinth were exercising their right to eat food that had been offered to idols. What was the result?
- What value did Paul place on his brother in Christ? How do we know from this text?
Other passages to consider – Deut 6:4-5; Matt 18:1-6; Acts 15:19-29; Rom 14:13-23; 1 Cor 13; Gal 5:13-15; Phil 2:1-11.
- How can I grow in knowledge without becoming filled with pride?
- What responsibilities do I have to my brother for his spiritual growth?
- How does getting to know my brother (including his background), help me to love him better?
- What are some rights that I may be free to do as a Christian, but should be willing to give up if they cause my brother to sin?
Sermon – Christ: The Power & Wisdom of God – 1 Corinthians 1:17-25
Preparing your heart for the sermon:
- Why is pride incongruent with the Gospel?
- How does the method of preaching bring glory to God?
- What two camps does this passage divide all of humanity into?
Other passages to consider: Isa 29:13-21; 2 Cor 4:1-7; James 3:13-17; 1 John 2:15-17.
- How did the Corinthians exaltation of human leaders contradict the Gospel?
- Why is the Gospel foolish to unbelievers?
- How has God through the Gospel made foolish the wisdom of the world?
- What values of the world might I be adopting that are contrary to the Gospel?