Check here each week for information to prepare your heart for the upcoming sermon and follow-up questions you can use after the sermon to dig deeper and disciple your family!
God Has Come to Rule and Save – Matthew 3:1-12
- What did John’s location, clothing, and diet point to?
- How did John prepare people for Jesus’s ministry?
- What is repentance? Why does John emphasize bearing fruit with repentance?
- Why was John baptizing people? What was new about his baptism?
- What is the kingdom of heaven (God)? How is it present already?
- What role should repentance have in the life of a Christian?
Other Passages to Consider:
1 Kings 17:3-7; 2 Kings 1:7-8; Isa 4:4; 10:33-34; 30:27-28; 32:25; 40:1-11; Ezek 36:26-27; Joel 3:1-2; Zech 13:4,9; Hos 2:14-15; Mal 3:2-4; 4:5-6; Matt 11:14; 17:17:11-13; John 8:39-44; Rom 4:11-18; 9:6-8
Going Low to Serve Others - John 13:1-20
- What was shocking about Jesus washing the disciples’ feet? How does the timing and inclusion of Judas make Christ’s action even more amazing?
- How does Jesus use this event to point to his sacrifice on the cross?
- What is the example that Jesus expects his disciples to emulate?
- How does the Gospel equip us to serve others in love and humility?
- How is God calling me to humbly serve those around me?
Other passages to consider:
Mark 10:42-45; Luke 22:24-27; John 13:34-35; 15:12-17; 1 Cor 6:11; Phil 2:1-11; 1 John 4:10-11
The Light of Salvation Has Come! – John 1:5-13
Preparing your heart for the sermon:
- What does light do to darkness? Why is light so needed in order to live?
- Why did most people not welcome the visit from their Creator?
- Why do some receive Jesus instead of rejecting him like the rest?
Other passages to consider: Gen 1:1-5; Ps 27:1; Isa 9:1-7; 42:1-7; Matt 4:12-17; Luke 1:76-79; 2:29-32; Jn 1:1-13; 3:1-21; 8:12; 9:5; 11:9-10; 12:35-36, 44-50; Acts 26:17-18; 2 Cor 4:1-6; Eph 5:6-16; 1 Pet 2:9; 1 Jn 1:5-10
- How does this passage describe the nearness of Christ’s incarnation? How does this display God’s grace?
- What does it look like to receive Jesus? What happens to those who do that?
- What are the blessings of being a child of God?
- Why do you follow Christ? How should you respond to this truth?