Check here each week for information to prepare your heart for the upcoming sermon and follow-up questions you can use after the sermon to dig deeper and disciple your family!
How Disciples are to Treat Others – Matthew 7:12
- How Is Jesus’s standard more demanding than other ancient versions that stated this command in the negative – “Do not do to your neighbor what is hateful to you.”?
- How is this command related to “Loving the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength?”
- What hope do we have of obeying this command?
- How do you like to be treated? What will it look like for you to treat those around you like that?
Other Passages to Consider:
Deut 6:4-5; Mic 6:8; Matt 5:13-17; 22:24-40; Jn 13:34-35; Rom 13:8-10; 2 Cor 9:8; Gal 5:13-14; Jam 2:8; 1 Pet 1:22.
Abiding in Christ - John 15:4-11
- What would it look like for you to stay close to Jesus this week?
- What things pull you away from Christ or get in the way of you staying close to Christ?
- How does sin disrupt our experience of Christ’s love and joy?
- How is living for God’s glory connected with our joy being full?
Other passages to consider:
Matt 4:4; John 6:53-69; 15:1-16; 17:17-26; Gal 2:20; 5:22-24; Eph 3:7-21; Heb 12:1-2
A Brand New Life
- Why did Jesus command that his disciples be baptized?
- How does baptism symbolize repentance?
- Why is repentance necessary in order to become a disciple?
- What truths are pictured by baptism?
Other Passages to Consider:
Isa 1:18; Matt 4:4; 28:18-20; Acts 2:22-41; Rom 6:1-7; 1 Cor 12:12-13; 2 Cor 5:17; Titus 3:3-7; Heb 10:22
A Disciple of Jesus - Matthew 11:28-30; Luke 6:40
- What burdens does Jesus take away from us? How?
- What activities do we need to practice in order to learn from Jesus?
- What process is God doing in the lives of His children?
- What good comes from us growing in Christ-likeness?
- Do you think of yourself as a life-long learner? What are you focused on learning?
- Is learning merely the transfer of information? What else does learning from Christ entail?
- How does Jesus help us to learn Him?
- What truths/encouragements can you draw from the picture of being yoked with Christ?
Other passages to consider: Matt 10:24-25; Rom 8:29-30; Eph 4:17-24; Col 3:9-10; Jam 1:19-25; 1 Jn 2:6
All to Jesus, I Surrender - Luke 14:33
- What does renounce mean? How does this relate to being a disciple?
- Why can Jesus lay claim to all that I am and have?
- How can relationships and possessions get in the way of following Christ?
- What is a steward?
- How does being a steward affect my use of possessions?
- How can you be using what God has entrusted to you for His glory?
- Does Christ have first place in your life? If not, what is getting in the way?
Other passages to consider: Job 1:20-22; Matt 6:19-34; 13:44; Mark 4:18-19; Luke 12:13-21; 14:25-34; Acts 4:32-37; 2 Cor 9:6-11; Phil 3:7-11; Col 1:15-20; 1 Tim 6:6-10,17-19
Loving Jesus More - Luke 14:25-26; Matthew 10:37
- What do you love/treasure?
- Why does Jesus demand that He be our most important relationship?
- How are any of us able to love Jesus?
- What can you do to grow in your love for Jesus?
- What do you find particularly lovely about Jesus?
Other passages to consider: Deut 6:4-9; Matthew 10:34-39; 13:44-46; Luke 7:36-50; 14:25-33; 18:18-30; John 12:20-26; 1 Cor 16:22; Jam 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:23-2:3; 1 John 3:16; 4:9-21