Check here each week for information to prepare your heart for the upcoming sermon and follow-up questions you can use after the sermon to dig deeper and disciple your family!
All to Jesus, I Surrender - Luke 14:33
- What does renounce mean? How does this relate to being a disciple?
- Why can Jesus lay claim to all that I am and have?
- How can relationships and possessions get in the way of following Christ?
- What is a steward?
- How does being a steward affect my use of possessions?
- How can you be using what God has entrusted to you for His glory?
- Does Christ have first place in your life? If not, what is getting in the way?
Other passages to consider: Job 1:20-22; Matt 6:19-34; 13:44; Mark 4:18-19; Luke 12:13-21; 14:25-34; Acts 4:32-37; 2 Cor 9:6-11; Phil 3:7-11; Col 1:15-20; 1 Tim 6:6-10,17-19
Loving Jesus More - Luke 14:25-26; Matthew 10:37
- What do you love/treasure?
- Why does Jesus demand that He be our most important relationship?
- How are any of us able to love Jesus?
- What can you do to grow in your love for Jesus?
- What do you find particularly lovely about Jesus?
Other passages to consider: Deut 6:4-9; Matthew 10:34-39; 13:44-46; Luke 7:36-50; 14:25-33; 18:18-30; John 12:20-26; 1 Cor 16:22; Jam 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:23-2:3; 1 John 3:16; 4:9-21
Following Christ - Mark 8:34-9:1
Preparing for the sermon:
- What does Jesus say is required to follow him?
- What things hinder a person from following Jesus?
- Why is it wrong to water down or omit completely the requirements for following Christ?
Other passages to consider: Daniel 7:9-14; John 6:60-69; Rom 6:1-6; Gal 2:20; 2 Thess 1:5-10
- How does the call to follow Christ still go out? Who could you call to follow Christ?
- Are the requirements to follow Christ a one-time decision or ongoing or both?
- In what areas do you need God’s help to deny yourself and come under Christ’s authority?
Sermon – The Wisdom of God – 1 Corinthians 2:6-16
Preparing your heart for the sermon:
- What has Paul been teaching the wisdom of God is?
- How is God’s wisdom secret?
- Who are the spiritual in this passage?
Other passages to consider – Dan 2:19-23; John 3:1-8; 15:18-27; Rom 8:1-9; 11:33-36; 16:25-27; 1 Cor 1:18-25; 2 Cor 4:3-6; Eph 1:8-10; Phil 3:17-21; 1 John 2:15-17
- How does the gospel display the wisdom of God?
- In what ways are we blessed to live on this side of the cross? (in the New Covenant)
- Why must we have the Spirit of God if we are to understand the gospel?
- How does this passage impact your proclamation of the gospel?