Check here each week for information to prepare your heart for the upcoming sermon and follow-up questions you can use after the sermon to dig deeper and disciple your family!
A Life Built on Christ – Matthew 7:24-29
- What is the difference in the way the two houses were built? What does this difference symbolize in their lives? How does this difference affect the outcome of the houses? To what is Jesus ultimately referring?
- Upon what is your life being built? What does it look like to have a life built on Christ?
- What impact does the Word of God have on your life? How can you guard against being a hearer only?
Other Passages to Consider:
Matt 16:13-18; Luke 6:46-49; 11:27-28; 1 Cor 3:11; Titus 1:15-16; James 1:22-24; 2:14-26; 1 Jn 2:3-6.
Two Ways to Live – Matthew 7:13-14
v13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. v14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Gate Path Companions Destination
- Why is the gate narrow that leads to life?
- How does this text help people count the cost of following Christ?
- Should Christians expect to be the minority or majority? Why?
Other passages to consider:
Psalm 1; 73; Prov 14:12; Matt 5:11-12; Mark 10:28-31; John 10:7-18; Acts 4:12; Eph 2:1-5
A Brand New Life
- Why did Jesus command that his disciples be baptized?
- How does baptism symbolize repentance?
- Why is repentance necessary in order to become a disciple?
- What truths are pictured by baptism?
Other Passages to Consider:
Isa 1:18; Matt 4:4; 28:18-20; Acts 2:22-41; Rom 6:1-7; 1 Cor 12:12-13; 2 Cor 5:17; Titus 3:3-7; Heb 10:22
All to Jesus, I Surrender - Luke 14:33
- What does renounce mean? How does this relate to being a disciple?
- Why can Jesus lay claim to all that I am and have?
- How can relationships and possessions get in the way of following Christ?
- What is a steward?
- How does being a steward affect my use of possessions?
- How can you be using what God has entrusted to you for His glory?
- Does Christ have first place in your life? If not, what is getting in the way?
Other passages to consider: Job 1:20-22; Matt 6:19-34; 13:44; Mark 4:18-19; Luke 12:13-21; 14:25-34; Acts 4:32-37; 2 Cor 9:6-11; Phil 3:7-11; Col 1:15-20; 1 Tim 6:6-10,17-19
Loving Jesus More - Luke 14:25-26; Matthew 10:37
- What do you love/treasure?
- Why does Jesus demand that He be our most important relationship?
- How are any of us able to love Jesus?
- What can you do to grow in your love for Jesus?
- What do you find particularly lovely about Jesus?
Other passages to consider: Deut 6:4-9; Matthew 10:34-39; 13:44-46; Luke 7:36-50; 14:25-33; 18:18-30; John 12:20-26; 1 Cor 16:22; Jam 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:23-2:3; 1 John 3:16; 4:9-21
Joy and Peace, Even When Life is Hard – Psalm 27
Preparing your heart for the sermon:
- How does David describe the dangers he is facing? What emotions is David experiencing in the midst of this trouble?
- What is David’s passion in life? How does he pursue that passion?
- Why should confidence in God lead to seeking the Lord all the more?
Other passages to consider: Ex 34:5-8; Ps 13; 17; 23; 42:1-2; Isa 40:28-31; Luke 10:38-42; Eph 6:10-20; Heb 1:1-3
- What is your #1 pursuit in life? What should it be?
- What does it look like for you to seek God’s face? How can you grow in this?
- Why can you have peace even in the midst of trials?
- What are you waiting on the Lord for right now? How does this Psalm help you to wait?